Hawaii can be exceedingly expensive for a traveller, but if you know how to do it right, backpacking Hawaii can be done on a budget whilst still having loads of fun!
You see that’s the thing, just because you are backpacking Hawaii, does not mean you need to be too frugal when most of the adventures and fun is free. In this case, it definitely is what you make it.
Up on Mt. Haleakala whilst backpacking Hawaii
So here is a list of my 10 tips to backpacking Hawaii on a budget
- Stay in hostels, and if you can try to Couchsurf. I suggest couchsurfing although I did find it difficult to find a host. If
this is the case stick to hostels as they are far cheaper and you meet a lot more awesome people.
- Eat from the supermarkets. Sure you can get cheap fast food, but knowing it’s fast food you are only going to be hungry again much sooner rather than later. So stick to the good supermarket food. Either take it with you on hikes or cook up your own meals and server your own breakfasts. This gives you two wins, its healthier and cheaper.
- If you are in Waikiki, walk everywhere instead of bus or taxi. You cut out the cost, get fitter and see more of the place.
- Hire a car. It’s cheaper to do this if you split it between you and a buddy or a few friends. Plus you are going to get to see a lot more by driving around yourself than on any tour bus.
- The adventures are free, so don’t go spending lots of money on entertainment when the best entertainment is in hiking, swimming and exploring. Be careful not to get sucked in to many night time displays in the heart of Waikiki when the true magic is all throughout Hawaii by the beaches and mountains.
- Use airport shuttles, these are far cheaper than taxi’s. You can either book them before you arrive or through your reception at your hostel.
- Surfboard hire, if you have your own board take it. If you don’t, shop around because there are a lot of places that over charge you to hire a board for just and hour or two.
- Shopping! Everyone loves it when they are on holiday. But don’t go all out on the main strip and around Waikiki because you are going to save a lot more money if you are to head to the factory outlets. So look those up here and check them out.
- If you do need transport and can’t walk, go for the cheaper version and catch the bus. It’s always cheaper and still gets you to where you need to go.
- Last but not least is taking tours or seeing Luau’s. Make sure you do your research because you will more than likely be over charged. It pays to do your homework, which is key when trying to backpack Hawaii on a budget. By doing this you can save loads of money and put that towards partying or exploring.
So as you can see backpacking Hawaii can be done on a budget with just a few easy tips to remember. As you may know there are so many awesome things to see and do in Hawaii so before you take your backpacking Hawaii adventure, be sure to check out ‘The Best Adventures in Oahu Video’ to see how many great things you can get up to in Hawaii.
If you have any other helpful money saving tips for us who decide to go backpacking Hawaii, please don’t be shy and leave a comment below.