Mexico is one of my favorite countries, one which has such an incredible history. Which is why these WTF facts on Mexico are so interesting.
So before travelling it is always a wise move to learn a little history on why a country is so special and what makes the country the way it is today and why. Which is why I like to do these WTF fact posts. So here it is, your 25 WTF facts on Mexico.
- Did you know that Mexico is not really the official name of the country? Its real name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos (which means, United Mexican States).
- The smallest breed of dog in the world is named after a Mexican state, Chihuahua. As this is where the breed of dog originated from in Mexico.
- Tampons are a novelty in Mexico. Actually most people in Mexico have never heard of them and are actually afraid to use them. There are only a select few you can buy in the stores and they are far from the quality you would expect in any Western country.
- Mexico city has the highest, and is the oldest city in North America. It is too one of the largest cities in the world.
- One unusual Mayan weapon was a ‘hornet bomb’, which was a hornet’s nest that would be thrown at enemies in battle.
- Mexico city is the 14th largest country in the world by total area.
Mexico city by night
- Mexico is located in the ‘ring of fire’ being one of the worlds most dangerous earthquake and volcano zones.
- Mexico is second to Brazil with the most catholic citizens.
- The largest wild cat in North America is the Jaguar, which can be found in the southern jungles of Mexico.
- Mexico introduced corn, chocolate and chilies to the world.
- The border between Mexico and the United States is the second largest border in the world. The first being between Canada and the United States.
- Only 10 countries in the world have a larger population than Mexico being 122.3 million.
- Texas was once a Mexican province until it declared its independence from Mexico in 1836, which sparked the war with the United States.
- Bullfighting is Mexico’s national sport, although football (soccer) is currently more popular.
- Mexico city was built on a lake causing it to sink an average of 15-20cm a year. This means if it continues to sink the cities water supplies and its irreplaceable architecture are under threat.
- The Mexican flag is made up of 3 vertical stripes with each a separate meaning. Green stands for hope, white stands for purity and unity whilst the red represents the blood shed of the nations heroes.
- Mexico is home to a very rare rabbit named the volcano rabbit, which lives near Mexican volcanoes.
- Mexico is the most populated Spanish speaking country in the world.
- The name tomato comes from the Aztec language.
- Mexico is the largest salt producer in the world.
- Mexico has the oldest living tree in the world, it stands 40Ft tall.
- Hot chocolate is the sacred drink if the Aztecs.
- The popular Caesar salad is named after Caesar Cardini.
- Millions of monarch butterflies migrate from the United States and Canada into Mexico each year.
- The Aztecs believed turquoise would protect them, hence why the covered their battle shields with it.
So I hope you learnt something from these WTF facts on Mexico that you can now wow your travel buddies with and the people you meet whilst backpacking around Mexico.
These WTF facts on Mexico is not our only WTF facts post, so be sure to check out many more interesting WTF facts about various countries here.